Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Fortune-teller Paper Lantern

So, I was perusing Pinterest a few weeks ago and checking out the whole blog thang, when I came across the most amazing project involving a paper lantern and those little origami fortune tellers.  A-maz-ing!  By the way, the blog that I got the project from, the 3 R's blog, has some really great and creative lamp and lighting ideas...you should check it out if you're looking for some DIY lighting inspiration!


Seriously, I thought about this paper lantern for about a month, and couldn't get it out of my head, so I finally decided to make one.  I was so hesitant about it because our house has really low ceilings, so I wasn't sure where I'd put it.  Then I realized that we have a back sunroom (that is currently being used to store garage stuff), that it would be PERFECT in.  So later this summer I'm hoping to consolidate the random stuff, get some cute retro/mod/vintage patio furniture, and make it a nice little hangout spot (I'd show you a pic of the sunroom right now, but it only has boring car parts in there!).


The first thing that you need to do is fold a bunch of these origami fortune tellers.  Here is a link, if you need instructions, or you can just google "origami fortune teller".  I used regular white 8.5'' x 11'' computer paper.  I folded it in half the short way, and got two fortune-tellers out of one sheet of paper.  For my 20'' lantern, I needed a total of approximately 222 origami shapes.  I snagged a cookie sheet from the kitchen and used it as a flat surface to fold them while I was watching TV.  In fact, that's how I watched the entire first season of Downton Abbey on Netflix (which is a fantastic show by the way--I am hooked!).


I got my 20'' paper lantern at Pier 1, because that's the only place that I could think of that would have really big paper lanterns.  That, and it also happens to be right down the street from my house ;)  It was about $10.


Once you've got a BUNCH of origami shapes folded, grab a glue gun and put a dot of glue on the back center of each one.  Then, start sticking them on the paper lantern.  I started out doing a ring of them around the center of the lantern and then worked my way up from there.


If you find that you don't quite have enough space for a full shape once you reach the end of the ring, just cut one in half and stick it in there.



From there, it's just a lot of gluing!


And sometimes I got "help" from an outside source.  I think that if he could have crawled in my lap, he would have!



And ta-da!  We're done!  It only took me about 1.5 weeks of random-movie watching.  Not too bad!



While I was laying down on the ground to take the picture above, my puppy got curious, and suddenly this was all I saw...."Umm...hi mom! Whatcha doing??"


Doesn't it look awesome though?



I'm imagining it hanging with a cluster of other lanterns out in the sunroom, kind of like this:


What do you think?  Do you want to make one now too?  I'm wondering if I should try to make some smaller ones with colored paper.  Feel free to come help me fold!  :-D

32 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic idea! I would love how it looks with different coloured lanterns to set a "mood". I've also seen this done with Ping Pong Balls and plastic spoons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the idea of pink as an accent color for the other lanterns in the sunroom...but since it's just off the garage, I might have to do something more "manly" like red...hmmm...decisions, decisions!

      Delete
  2. I'm currently in the process of making little paper cranes to put on a lantern. I wasn't sure how to attach them, but if a hot glue gun worked for these, it should also work for the cranes. Thanks for sharing this :) I may have to try the fortune teller desgin too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just moved to a nice house and i was thinking to make something creative you inspired me thank you. i am your new follover and this is mi blog http://yagmurgunel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished mine. My little fortune tellers all arent't as nice as yours are. It looks nice but it took f-o-r-e-v-e-r. If I had any tips I would say to glue all your fortune tellers on going the same way. You would't think there isn't a difference but there is. I did not do this and by the time I figured it out it was too late. Oh well, it still looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, i'm in the "folding phase" and i might start gluing very soon, what do you mean by "glue on going the same way?" thanks!
      julie

      Delete
  5. WOW! I think I'm just OCD enough to try this some day. I'm not a knitter, so this seems like a great substitute for something to keep hands busy while catching up on a DVR or Netflix series. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, Sept.29, Great job Sarah. Its beautiful and original. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab idea. I'll definitely try this. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. c'est vraiment magnifique

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those patter look's really hard to create and i am not even good about it.I mostly do the common one which a fortune teller in Finland teach me how to do it and it was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this! Cool shades are so expensive! Now that its been a few years, how has it held up? Is it hard to dust?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was interested in making or buying some of these for my restaurant. We are by the Ocean and usually have our doors open during lunch. We were concerned that the paper would yellow in the sun and also that they would be very difficult to clean (dust, occasional sauce might get on them). Any thoughts/suggestions?

    Thank you,

    Dan
    danschreiber@gmail.com
    Del Mar Rendezvous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they would last very long under those conditions.

      Delete
  13. I was interested in making or buying some of these for my restaurant. We are by the Ocean and usually have our doors open during lunch. We were concerned that the paper would yellow in the sun and also that they would be very difficult to clean (dust, occasional sauce might get on them). Any thoughts/suggestions?

    Thank you,

    Dan
    danschreiber@gmail.com
    Del Mar Rendezvous

    ReplyDelete
  14. I’m impressed with the special and informative contents that you just offer in such short timing.Topaz Voyance

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really your post is really very good and I appreciate it. Its hard to sort the good from the bad sometimes, You write very well which is amazing. I really impressed by your pos
    astrology readings Orlando

    ReplyDelete
  16. Quelle belle idée :)) bravo cela change tout, merci et à bientôt !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for this wonderful share,
    It's really nice,
    Painter and decorator Rochdale

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks a lot for this wonderful and amazing post,
    wall decor mirror

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am very thank full to you for this really helpful post,.
    Worcestershire painting contractor

    ReplyDelete
  20. I should say thanks for this really an amazing blog about the lamps,
    uvb narrowband lamps"

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article. visit official site

    ReplyDelete
  22. Keep posting more informative posts about the painting,.
    colormuse

    ReplyDelete